Archeological Roots of Balinese Hinduism Tour
This exciting tour is part culture and part archaeology. Explore the history of Bali, Indonesia's Hindu roots when you visit several destinations and meet interesting people associated with the field. Your expedition will take you to the Gedung Arca Museum, Pura Gumang Temple, Pegulingan Temple, and the home of a Balinese priest.
- Duration: 8 hrs
- Available Days: Every day
- Schedule: 9:00 AM
- Inquire for Transportation
- Mobile Ticket Included
- Offered in English
What's waiting for you in Ubud on the island of Bali, Indonesia? The beauty of nature, exciting adventures, amazing handcrafted souvenirs, delicious food, and friendly people. What more could you want out of a vacation? Paradise is real, when you head for the blue skies and turquoise waters of Indonesia. Let's take a look at what else is waiting for you on your next adventure...
Ubud is also home to great faith. Relics and sacred destinations dot the region and make for a fascinating and engaging time whatever your spiritual beliefs may be. This special tour exposes you to the history and culture of Bali in a very human and hands-on manner. Visit several different destinations with an expert guide, and meet amazing people along the way:
• Museum Gedon Arca - The first stop of your tour takes you to see an ancient sarcophagus (a stone coffin), which may be 2,000 or up to 2,500 years old. This extraordinary archaeology museum has a relics dating back to the Bronze Age, Stone Age, and even the prehistoric era.
• Pura Gumang Temple - Next, you will have the privilege of meeting with Pak Dola, the temple's archivist. Take a moment to appreciate the old solar and lunar calendars, as well as the spectacular view.
• Pegulingan Temple- Established in 1178 AD during King Masula Masuli's reign, this temple holds the largest stupa Buddha (a mound holding a container of holy Buddhist relics) in all of Bali. Take a moment to appreciate the architecture, and notice how well it has withstood the test of time and nature.
• Lunch Break - Fuel up for your remaining adventure with lunch in Banjar. Here, you'll enjoy a delicious, authentic Balinese meal.
• Palm Leaf Manuscripts - Finally your tour concludes at the home of a Balinese priest. He is gracious enough to welcome you into his home, and is pleased to show you his collection of manuscripts written on palm leaves that cover subjects such as astrology, astronomy, genealogy, healing, history, and homeopathy.
Bali was settled in 4,000 B.C., and though much has changed, relics of the past remain. Make them a part of your Balinese getaway when you add this fascinating tour to your travel itinerary.
NOTE: Please remember that the destinations you will visit and the items you will observe hold sacred meaning; as such, please be respectful of this fact, regardless of your personal faith. It is highly advisable to bring a sarong on this tour.
What to Bring
Comfortable walking shoes, a camera, clothing you can wear to a temple, and money for personal expenses.
Entrance fees, guided tour, and a meal.
Many of our tours and activities offer transportation pick up & drop off options from several locations and destinations. Options vary by tour, see “More Time and Rates” for full details.
This tour involves a Jalan Jalan — a walk — around the attractive Green School campus. The Green School campus is known for its beautiful architecture and progressive approach to educations. Your tour guide will be a staff member, a student, or a student parent. They’re happy to answer your questions about how the eco-friendly campus works.
4 hrsFrom $69
No matter what your familiarity with Balinese art, this tour is a fun way to create your own interpretation of Balinese painting with a local artist as your guide. This 2-hour experience ensures that you have a personalized souvenir to bring home.
2 hrsFrom $81
At Balinese museums, you’ll see ancient examples of silver relief used to decorate temples, as well as sacred tools used in temple offerings. This 3-hour workshop introduces you to some of the intense techniques that make it possible to bend and pound silver into an intricate pattern. Come with a few ideas, as you’ll be making your own design.
3 hrsFrom $97