Cuba Facts & Basic Info

The following are basic facts about Cuba. If you want more detailed information, check out the rest of our travel guides, or get in touch with the Anywhere Travel team. If you're a citizen of the United States traveling to Cuba, we recommend reading " How To Legally Travel To Cuba As An American."

The Basics

Location: Cuba is located in the Caribbean Sea, between the Gulf of Mexico and the North Atlantic Ocean. It is 90 miles (150 km) south of Florida. The closest countries to Cuba are Jamaica to the south, and Haiti to the east.

Area: 42,803 square miles (110,860 sq km)

Land Borders: Cuba is an island in the Caribbean Sea. It shares an 11-mile (28.5 km) border with the U.S. naval base at Guantánamo Bay.

Total Coastline: 2,320 miles (3,735 km)

Capital City: Havana

Highest Point: Pico Turquino Mountain at 6,476 feet (1,974 m)

Lowest Point: Caribbean Sea at sea level.

Temperature Range: 71.6°F (22°C) to 81°F (27.2°C).

Average Rainfall: Most of Cuba's rain falls from May to October, when the country gets around 88 centimeters of rain. It is rainier on the north coast than the south.

Humidity: During the dry season the humidity is around 50 percent, and during the wet season it can get as high as 90 to 100 percent.

Population: 11,031,433 (July 2015 est.)

Population Growth Rate: -0.15 percent (2015 est.)

Population Density: 101 people per sq. km (2013 est.)

Ethnicities: Mestizo 26.6 percent, black 9.3 percent, white 64 percent (2012 est).

Official Language: Spanish

Religion: 85 percent are nominally Roman Catholic. The other 15 percent identify as Protestant, Jehovah's Witness, Jewish, and Santería.

Dialing code: +53

Learn more about Cuba's legendary vibrant culture and unbreakable spirit in our "Guide to People of Cuba & Cuban Culture."

Quality of Life

Life Expectancy: 78.39 years

Life Expectancy of Men: 76.08

Life Expectancy of Women: 80.84

Fertility Rate: 1.47 children per woman (2014 est.)

Literacy: 99.8 percent

Poverty Rate: There are no statistics available for the poverty rate in Cuba. The government wages do not provide enough income for the majority of Cubans.

Airports: 133 (2013); 64 paved and 69 unpaved.

Roadways: 37,815 miles (60,858 km); 18,529 miles (29,820 km) paved; 19,286 miles (31,038 km) unpaved.

Waterways: 149 miles (240 km) of inland waterways.

Ports: Antilla, Cienfuegos, Guantánamo, Havana, Matanzas, Mariel, Nuevitas Bay, Santiago de Cuba.

...Traveling to Cuba and worried about your health and safety? Read about the countries medical facilities here, and crime and safety here.

Government and Economy

Government Type: Communist state

Head of Government: President Raúl Castro

Legislative Branch: National Assembly of People's Power

Independence Day: Independence from Spain on October 10, 1868.

National Constitution: The latest constitution was adopted in 1976, and has been amended several times since then.

Suffrage: Universal suffrage for citizens age 16 and up.

National Symbol: Tocororo bird

Currency: There are two currencies in Cuba — Cuban convertible pesos (CUC), and Cuban pesos. Visitors use CUC currency.

GDP per Capita: $8,433 (2017 est.)

Industry: Tourism, petroleum, nickel, cobalt, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, construction, steel, cement, agricultural machinery, and sugar.

Exports: Petroleum, nickel, medical products, sugar, tobacco, fish, citrus, and coffee.

Agriculture: Sugar, tobacco, citrus, coffee, rice, potatoes, beans, and livestock.

Unfamiliar with why Cuba is still difficult to travel to? Learn more about the history of this island nation in "Cuba's Fascinating & Complicated History."

The Best of


Trustpilot 5-star rated

Find inspiration by browsing our curated vacation collections.



Your dream vacation can have a lot of moving pieces. Add destinations, activities, and hotels you're interested in to your Favorites List. Then our trip designers can turn that into your next best vacation.

Top 5 Reasons Why Travelers Love Booking Trips with Anywhere

Jan 2020
With all the online booking resources available on the internet, why book with Anywhere?
Continue reading...