Can I Use My Cell Phone In Guatemala?
You can use your cell phone in Guatemala if it’s a GSM (Global Systems for Mobiles) phone. The frequency for Tigo (the most popular phone network) is 850 MHz. You will need to replace your phone’s SIM card with a Tigo SIM card, and if the phone is locked it will need to be unlocked. Most stores that sell cell phones can do this. You can buy talk time in various denominations that are called in and credited to your account. After you return home, you can put the original SIM card back into your phone.
An alternative is to buy a phone locally. The cheapest phones cost around $50. Domestic call rates are around $0.16/minute; calls to the U.S. run around $0.12/minute.
1. What Is Guatemala's Time Zone?
2. How Do I Dial From Guatemala to the U.S.?
3. Is There Fax Service In Guatemala?
4. How Do I Dial From the U.S. To Guatemala?
5. What Are Other International Calling Codes in Guatemala?
6. How Long Will It Take a Postcard To Reach The U.S. in Guatemala?
7. What Is Internet Access Like In Guatemala?